Are you looking to make a difference? Do you want to shape the course of the communities we work in? Do you like to have fun and enjoy collaborating with people? You might consider employment with Big Brothers Big Sisters.
As employment opportunities arise, they are posted below. Qualified candidates are encouraged to send resumes to the contacts provided for each position. Only those candidates that are being considered will be contacted. No phone calls or e-mail follow-ups please.
WE ARE HIRING!
Job Type / Category
This is a full time (one year minimum) position consisting of 35 hours per week.
Established in 1972, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Saint John is a non-profit charitable organization that has helped more than 300 children and youth each year through a variety of volunteer based mentoring programs. The vision of the organization is “Every child who needs a mentor has a mentor”. Big Brothers Big Sisters provides positive role models for young people who are in need of additional support to ensure they build the confidence to achieve more. Big Brothers Big Sisters is committed to making a positive difference in the lives of children and youth, their families, and communities in Saint John, Kings and Charlotte Counties.
Big Brothers Big Sisters is seeking an ideal candidate to fill a one year (minimum) Administrative Assistant position. We are looking for a multi-tasker who possesses excellent communication skills and a positive attitude. The candidate will support the Executive Director and other agency staff through a variety of tasks related to organizational operations and communication. To be successful as the Administrative Assistant, candidates should be professional, polite, organized, a problem solver and detail oriented. The candidate must be comfortable with the use of technology and software, general office tasks, and have a genuine desire to work as part of a team.
Responsibilities and Duties
– Open office/reception area for business each day and provide telephone coverage from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (with 1 hour lunch)
– Ability to work flexible hours when required to attend evening or weekend special events and/or fundraising events
– Promptly answer, screen and direct incoming calls to appropriate staff in a professional and courteous manner and take messages when required
– Check and respond to voicemail messages on a daily basis
– Greet and assist all scheduled and unscheduled visitors and inform appropriate personnel as required
– Respond to inquiries from the public to provide information on agency services, processes and procedures
– General clerical duties including photocopying, scanning, emailing, filing and faxing
– Monitor and ensure efficient operation of office equipment, including copiers, telephones, etc. and arrange for service when required
– Ensure the ongoing cleanliness of the reception area and other shared spaces
– Coordinate office inventory and order/purchase supplies as required
– Receive, sort and distribute all incoming and outgoing mail and hand delivered items daily
– Ensure privacy and maintain confidentiality of clients, volunteers and staff matters at all times
– Assist with input and recording of statistical data related to all program services and complete reports as required
– Assist Program staff and Executive Director with various administrative duties, such as copying, calls, faxes, flyers, and other projects as assigned
– Assist Program staff with data entry into the Dynamics CRM database and organize electronic/paper files for clients and volunteers
– Assist with ongoing updates to the agency website and social media sites, and assist with creating and distribution of email/newsletter communications
– Support administrative functions of fundraising and agency special events
– Keep and maintain records required and generate reports when requested
– Ensure meeting rooms are prepared for scheduled meetings and kept neat and tidy
– Compose letters and emails on behalf of the Executive Director and Program staff
– Maintain agency contact lists and update as necessary
– Assist with the filing of invoices, bank deposits, receipt of donations, writing income tax receipts and thank you letters
– Organize staff and board attendance at community events and register for participation in training opportunities
– Maintain up-to-date employee holiday and illness records
– Schedule meetings, prepare meeting packages, manage meeting notices and take detailed minutes when asked to attend such meetings
– Perform other related duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
– Related post-secondary diploma in Office Administration or Administrative Assistant or a related field
– A minimum of 1 year of administrative experience and demonstrated customer service orientation
– Excellent written/oral communication skills and demonstrated problem solving ability
– Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher, and solid confidence in use of e-mail, CRM Dynamics, websites and social media platforms
– Excellent written skills and proven ability to develop clear, concise and comprehensive written and oral reports
– Strong organizational skills, initiative, attention to detail, and ability to multitask and prioritize workload
– Ability to work independently as well as in a team
– Experience in the non-profit sector is an asset
– A current police record check and Social Development check are required for this position
If you are interested in a challenging and rewarding experience as an Administrative Assistant with Big Brothers Big Sisters, please submit your resume with a cover letter that details how your skills meet the requirements of the position to:
Deadline to apply is March 6th, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.